Sunday, February 2, 2014

1/6 Custom Figure: The Caller (PHONE BOOTH)

"Isn't it funny? You hear a phone ring and it could be anybody. But ringing phone has to be answered, doesn't it?" Art by me.

I've been collecting smaller figures for a while (mostly the 6"-7" Neca ones), but I've taken up quite an interest in the beauty that is the 1:6 scale figure! (That's approx 12")

Anyway, after doing a lot of research, getting lots of awesome info off collector/enthusiast forums and browsing around the stores, I felt inspired enough to make a bash myself!

I thought something simple to start with would be the way to go, so I decided to put together one of my favorite movie villains known only as "The Caller" from one of my favorite Thrillers; Phone Booth, played by Kiefer Sutherland.

"PHONE BOOTH" (2001). It's weird they got him right there on the cover, considering it's meant to be some big reveal at the end that he's the killer, and not the person you're led to believe (for a moment).

The outfit is really really simple, when you think about it: Tan parka jacket. Grey slacks. White shirt. Glasses. But that can be deceptive. I discovered that the more simple the outfit, the less room you have for improvisation. You need to be accurate in all aspects of it, or it will show!



I noticed a nice "Jack Bauer" head sculpt from Enterbay's small 24 line. It was floating around on eBay for a while, so I grabbed it while I could ($65) - which was pretty perfect for what I was after for this character. It's not 100% accurate, being an older looking Sutherland with shorter hair, but there was no denying the likeness was spot on. The expression is pretty bloody perfect too. I dunno. Maybe one day I will revisit this figure and look for another headsculpt or have a custom one crafted for me.

Enterbay's "24" head sculpts.
My ordered headsculpt. So very very detailed...
He was quite blonde, so I knocked his hair down a shade or two with some watered down acrylics, and darkened up the stubble a little more as well. I also used a narrow shoulder TTL 3.0 body, which the head fit on pretty darn well (also the skin color matched the neck perfectly- I was afraid the body skin tone would be too light or pink). I suppose I got lucky there, given the fact I've never seen a TTL in-hand before. Heh.


Hehe, pink.

My biggest concern was getting the right glasses! I got a loose pair of ZCWorld glasses from the ZC Girl "Kathy" and surprisingly, they actually fit really well. And by that I mean in the sense they didn't look too big or goofy. (Well, they were really goofy at first, being bright pink and all haha.)

I gave the glasses a couple of coats of black paint, and finished it off with a bit of silver along the bottom of the frames to capture the light and imitate that clear plastic look.
The next big accessory was the case that he is seen casually walking by with at the end of the film. Easily done. I just painted up a standard army green case and added the electrical tape around it and dirtied it up a little. It's still functional and can easily hold his rifle in it when I am not displaying it.

1/6th scale ZCCG Weapon Case Carrier.



Now I really wanted to get the Sniper Rifle he actually uses in the movie (a modified Remington 700), or even the one seen at the end of the movie in the window would have been good and somewhat true to the film (the "decoy" Accuracy International AW).

The Accuracy International AW sniper rifle which was left behind by The Caller as a decoy while he made his escape with his real 700.
Unfortunately, I couldn't find either on the 1:6 market. So I settled for a DSR-1 which was a pretty neat and impressive looking model, and not too big either!

"I have a highly magnified telescopic image of you. Now, what kind of device has a telescopic sight mounted on it? ... A 30-calibre bolt-action 700 with a Carbon One modification and a state-of-the-art Hensoldt tactical scope. And it's staring straight at you."


I made up the little Newspaper myself in Photoshop and printed it off just as an extra prop- I figured he's the kind of killer who collects articles of his "work" as he goes.

FINAL PRODUCT







...with a little Photoshop work with the filters and such to give it the same visual tone as the movie:


  


No comments:

Post a Comment