Sunday, February 9, 2014

1/6 Custom Figure: Drake ("ELYSIUM")


Here is my next custom. Yet another character from Neill Blomkamps movie "Elysium". This is one of Kruger's South African mercenary buddies; Drake.



I decided to go ahead with this character because I think the costume design has a really nice aesthetic to it and is quite unique. There's a lot of hidden little details in there.

Head sculpt face.
Testing the first accessories and posing capabilities.
My biggest concern was building the vest as accurately as I could. It's similar to Kruger's vest and I planned to build it the same way, but a bit more flat and simplistic. Last time when I made Kruger, my computer was away for repairs (it literally fried), and I wasn't able to print any proper reference pictures or do any planning. It was all freehand (so a little bit wobbly in some places). 

This time, I was able to map out the basic shapes and pieces of the vest, print it to scale and use as a template for when I cut the foam pieces out. I found a great reference photo of the vest from an eBay prop/costume sale!




Once I had that all planned out, it was just a matter of building up, starting with the camo jacket, cargo pants, repainting the knee/elbow pads etc.


For the right hand, I simply chopped the finger off the molded plastic glove and replaced it with a non-gloved finger.



The radio headset was made of bits and pieces of loose head gear, scraps of camo pattern clothing, belts (lol!) and random buckles I could find off anything that didn't need it.




Vest beginnings.






 
















FINAL PRODUCT





 



1 comment:

  1. Hello I haves just seen an older project you did I believe it was captain Salazar from the pirates movie and was wondering if maybe I could buy a figure like that from you? If so how much would one cost?

    ReplyDelete